Saturday, February 8, 2014

Dues Referendum 2014 - guest post

It is a century since a group of actors banded together to form Equity (the name suggested by a Canadian) in NYC. As we contemplate the upcoming CAEA dues referendum, I find myself thinking on how lucky I have been to enjoy the support, protection, working condition advances and artist solidarity that my membership in CAEA has offered me over my 40 years' involvement within it.

I have also have been fortunate to have served on Council and the Executive in the past. I know how much the staff and Council does on members' behalf with very sparse resources. Whenever Council and staff do a stand up job in engaging us in the governance of our association, as they are doing now with the upcoming dues referendum, they deserve our support and serious consideration.

As some of you may recall...I spoke against the last referendum because I felt we, the members, were not engaged in its design enough (I felt member communications from CAEA were not great) and because it only contemplated a raise in one aspect of dues income. I felt this was inherently unfair to some CAEA members.

I feel the opposite on both issues during this current referendum. It is clearly being well communicated...our input is being sought thoroughly, universally and constantly throughout the process. Dues increases are being sought in both basic and working dues. It is a balanced and well considered request.

There is no doubt that the increase is needed if that which was started in 1913 is to continue to serve us, the whole membership of CAEA, in 2014 and beyond. I will vote yes. Please consider doing so too.

David Ferry
Member, Ontario

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your name. Comments may be reviewed before appearing, and may be withheld or removed at the administrator's discretion.